Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Prompt #6

When I would communicate with the students while reading books and doing activities I would talk to them so that it was easy for them to understand what I was saying. Sometimes I can speak really fast, but I talked slower and pronounced my words better than if I were talking to a friend. When helping the students pronounce a word I would sound it out slow for them and then have the student do it along with me and then have him or her sound it out by themselves. As far as the teacher of the classroom I did not have much time to pay attention to what she was doing because I did not have any observation time, aside from the one day I went and even then she taught two small quick lessons.

The children in the class socialized good for the most part, except for the few children that just liked to annoy each other all the time. There was this one little girl in particular, I never really saw her speak to anyone but she would just wander around the classroom and stop at each table. She also liked to push the other students buttons. I would hear every now and then Mrs.G Jessica won't leave me alone, but Jessica would just be standing there watching them or just take something off their table.

When it comes to culture I did not see major differences in the children. I mean obviously there is differences because everyone is brought up differently, but with little kids its the same between them all. They like to tell on each other, make up funny but untrue stories. They also like to annoy each other and would do so if they could all day! The teacher disciplined the children as needed, by having them work alone, etc. If they were acting up when I was working with them I told them nicely to please stop. Sometimes it worked others it didn't, for example yesterday one little boy kept mimicking the other boy I was working with. I asked him to stop, but he didn't for some time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maeghan,

    You write that "with little kids its (sic) the same between them all." I agree that biases are not yet entrenched, but do they not still see difference? What about language differences? A commitment to culturally competent teaching requires that we see difference as assets.

    Continue to think on these things,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete