Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Prompt #5

If I were to be the teacher in the classroom I currently tutor in I feel like I may have a slight language barrier. The part of the city I'm in is a predominately Hispanic and mostly Spanish speaking. To break this barrier though I would try to make lessons for the class that involve the students helping others including me learn a new language.

As far as the lesson this would help the children to strengthen the skills in their native language because as we learned in Teaching English Language Learners, if you reinforce their native language it helps them to build their English skills better. I really believe that Goldenberg's article connects with prompt number five because it is about English language learners and as a teacher of a diverse class you need to know how to help the students succeed in English as well as help them continue learning their native language.

In being able to collaborate with my students parents to overcome the challenges I would also take a language class. This would to be to better my communication skills between me and the parents, as well as the students whom have less than average English speaking skills. I would hope that by taking this action it would demonstration of respect to the parents of my students! With respect for the children's culture I would also like to help build upon that while they are learning the curriculum of the school they are attending!

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of having the children teach you, Maeghan.

    Welcome to the good fight,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete